Start Archery Week – 14-22 May 2022
Archery clubs will be familiar with The Big Weekend, the united annual event to welcome newcomers to the sport. This year, the event has been rebranded as Start Archery Week, taking place in May. Let's make 2022 our best year yet for showcasing archery!
Start Archery Week – 14-22 May 2022
After years of introducing thousands of new people of all ages and backgrounds to archery at successful events, the Big Weekend turns 10 years old in 2022, so what better time to throw a grand birthday party?!
Based on event organisers’ feedback, the Big Weekend event will be relaunched under the new name of ‘Start Archery Week’ on 14-22 May 2022. Please save the date in your diaries and consider how your club will be involved to celebrate archery on a national level.
At the Start Archery website www.startarchery.co.uk potential new archers can read all about the sport and what they need to know to get started. They can also sign up to receive more information about further archery opportunities and beginners’ courses on offer all around the UK.
Once you have your events confirmed, if you are from an Archery GB club, please register them online through your club records for the event to appear in the Event Finder.
Please let us know how you are hoping to take part by completing this Expression of Interest form
This does not commit you at this stage, but would really help us build a picture of what we hope will be a big, national birthday celebration of archery. All events would need to be registered as usual through the online portal when you have confirmed the details, and all included in the Open Active data so that they populate the ‘Event finder’: https://startarchery.co.uk/start-my-journey/find-an-experience
Top 5 benefits of taking part in Start Archery Week:
- Be a part of something bigger! Join this national celebration of archery with a big birthday party-themed year, and help people who hear about Start Archery Week see how active the sport is in their area.
- A great opportunity after a couple of Covid-impacted summers to pull together everyone in your club/organisation with a fun, social archery celebration.
- Increased general awareness in your community, possibly leading to new links and partnerships, or future opportunities.
- Potential new members for your club, and therefore new volunteers too, or opportunities to point to other archery providers who are looking for new members.
- Support from Archery GB and a toolkit of resources to help you prepare and deliver your event.
Join our Start Archery Week Planning webinar – 25 January 2022
How do we learn from 10 years of the Big Weekends? Come online and hear feedback from participants and event organisers from 2021, plus hear what’s new for 2022. You are key to making this a success so you are invited to help shape and contribute to these plans in the webinar!
The Start Archery Week Planning webinar is on Tuesday 25 January, 7-9pm.
Sign up through your members’ portal.
Check out the recordings of previous webinars:
It would be amazing if the general public could all find an event running near them, wherever they are in the country. Let’s join forces and do this together!
Feedback from previous organisers:
“People really enjoyed themselves.”
“We filled up the vacancies in our beginners’ course.”
“We reached new people.”
“It was a huge success.”
We will provide further guidance in the Documents section at the bottom of this page as the date approaches, with support around publicising your event and boosting engagement on social media.