JNOC 2017: Young stars shine!
Records tumbled, six and three gold ends were shot and there was even a Robin Hood – but it was the smiles, excitement and a real sense of achievement that marked out the 2017 Junior National Outdoor Championships as something special.
Paralympic champion Jess Stretton demonstrated just why she is the world number one at the age of 17 by smashing three W1 world records before 11am on Saturday. Daniel Dace from Netherhall Archers managed to group a little too precisely, wrecking two of his arrows during sighters. And both days were peppered with calls about new national records as well as archers’ achievements.
Yesterday, 282 archers from 130 clubs competed in the Junior National Championships and the 2017 titles went to:
- Samantha Roberts and Darragh Joyce (under 12s), Imogen Newby and Kian Watkins (under 14s), Hannah Rowley and Joe Fairburn (under 16s), Lizzie Warner and Alex Wise (under 18s). The recurve men’s and women’s titles went to Ryan Pinder and Louisa Piper.
- Matilda Craven and Elliot Ede (under 12s), Hallie Boulton and Ajay Scott (under 14s), Jenny Bryan and Lewis Haslam, joint winner with Nathan Thomas, (under 16s), Ella Gibson and Matthew Wong (under 18s). The compound men’s title went to Kai Thomas-Prause.
- Anja Rawlings (under 12s), Rosie Elliott and Samuel Kellett (under 14s), Rayelle Ennels-Smith (under 16s). The longbow men’s title went to Samuel Homewood.
- Meghan Robertson and Mikolaj Radosz (under 12s), Dylan Fyfe (under 14s), Eden Grundy and Thomas Oakley (under 16s), Becky Chilcott and James McKay (under 18s). The barebow men’s and women’s titles went to Harry Stew and Elisa Ball.
On Saturday, our rising stars took part in world record status World Archery 1440 Star rounds and UK record status Metric rounds. The winners included:
- Men’s 1440: Ryan Pinder (recurve), Kai Thomas-Prause (compound), Samuel Homewood (longbow), Harry Stew (barebow)
- Women’s 1440: Lizzie Warner (recurve), Jessica Stretton (compound)
- Metric 1: Alex Wise (recurve), Liam Peake (compound), Lukas Burton (barebow)
- Metric 2: Jacob Reid (men’s recurve), Nathan Thomas (men’s compound), Sophie Castle (women’s recurve), Ella Gibson (women’s compound), Becky Chilcott (women’s barebow)
- Metric 3: Thomas Susca (men’s recurve), Dru Ridding (men’s compound), Samuel Kellett (men’s longbow), Dylan Fyfe (men’s barebow), Freya Palmer (women’s recurve), Holly Clifford (women’s compound), Rayelle Ennels-Smith (women’s longbow), Eden Grundy (women’s barebow)
- Metric 4: Darragh Joyce (men’s recurve), Elliot Ede (men’s compound), Harvey Birdsall (men’s barebow), Imogen Newby (women’s recurve), Chloe A’Bear (women’s compound), Rosie Elliott (women’s longbow)
- Metric 5: Samantha Roberts (women’s recurve), Matilda Craven (women’s compound), Anja Rawlings (women’s longbow), Meghan Robertson (women’s barebow)
You can find all the results here: