Free defibrillators available for sports clubs in Wales
Sport clubs in Wales can apply for a FREE defibrillator thanks to funding from Welsh Government – don't miss out: the application deadline is 30 November 2021.
Save a Life Cymru and the Welsh Ambulance Service will distribute approximately 500 free defibrillators to sports clubs and communities across Wales thanks to £500,000 from the Welsh Government.
The summer of 2021 saw Welsh sport rocked by the deaths of two players following cardiac arrests on community pitches.
Cricketer Maqsood Anwar suffered a fatal heart attack while playing for Sully Centurions, with the tragedy being repeated just weeks later at Cwmllynfell Rugby Club when Alex Evans suffered the same fate.
Without a defibrillator at the Gôl 5-a-side football centre, Kevin Martin may not have been so lucky. His life was saved thanks to a nearby defibrillator.
The scheme aims to improve community access to defibrillators and boost out-of-hospital cardiac arrest survival rates in Wales.
Defibrillators will be allocated to enable access to strategically placed defibrillators on community buildings or sports grounds which will provide maximum benefit within communities.
Is your club eligible for a free defibrillator?
A defibrillator will (numbers allowing) be allocated to a sports club/community once they are able to confirm that they:
- identified with rationale the best place to site a defibrillator (there is currently no defibrillator within 500m of the proposed site)
- have purchased or fundraised for a heated defibrillator cabinet and it has been installed on an external wall in an area which is accessible 24/7
- have an electricity supply so that the defibrillator is maintained at the right temperature, to prevent the battery and pads from deteriorating
- ensure the defibrillator will be available for public use 24/7
- register the defibrillator on The Circuit database
- appoint a defibrillator guardian (for regular maintenance)
- have a backup guardian to cover absence
- ensure they hold awareness sessions for individuals involved in the organisation/group on CPR/defibrillation skills
Please click here to apply for a free defibrillator.
Application deadline: 30 November 2021.