Training & Courses
Training and Courses
Training to be a judge is a very practical affair. It takes place at tournaments from when you are starting out as a Candidate judge and then progresses through conferences and by similar means when you want to progress up the judging pathway.
The judging pathway and re-accreditation system is described in the Judging Handbook, and also in the J10 form. You can find both of those in the Useful Resources for Judges document library, in the Judges Handbook and Forms sections respectively.
In the library, you can also find presentations from conferences which contain helpful advice on keeping your judging skills current. Another part of the Library contains Training and Exam Resources – if you think we have missed something, or you would like to see something added to this part, please email email@example.com with details.
Candidate Judge Seminars
The next Candidate Judge Seminar will be held dependent on requirements, dates to be published shortly.
If you would like to learn how to officiate and are available to attend tournaments, why not train to become a Candidate Judge?
Training is provided by experienced officials who are keen to welcome you into judging. The training is broken down into sections:
- Gain experience – put your skills into practice straight away! Assist at tournaments and be supported by a local mentor
- Attend a Candidate Judge Seminar – you will learn the basic skills for officiating during a friendly and interactive weekend workshop
- When you are ready, take the assessment to formally qualify as a County Judge
To book your place on the Candidate Judge Seminar:
- Please contact the Judge Liaison Officer (JLO) for your region – they will need to be aware of and endorse your application. Your region may also be able to support the cost of the training
- Next, complete and return the below application form
- Book early as places are limited. The closing date is 23 September
- If you are aged 16-23 years old you are eligible to receive a bursary of £200 to support the costs associated with travelling to tournaments
The cost to attend the Candidate Judge Seminar is just £40. Attendees will need to book accommodation separately (if required).